Wednesday, July 4, 2012

GM Burnout

As a Game Master in a table-top or pen-and-paper RPG, sometimes you hit a wall. It’s the GM’s equivalent of writer’s block. That is what’s happening in my current campaign of the Star Wars Roleplaying Game. I still enjoy the game when we’re playing, but I have a difficult time getting myself motivated to put in the work that I need to do between sessions. I’ve thought about what I’ve done right, what I’ve done wrong, and how I would like to do things differently with my next campaign in order to – hopefully – avoid this happening again.


Too Many Plot Threads

In our Star Wars campaign, I had, from the beginning, three basic plot threads that I wanted to try to intertwine throughout the course of the campaign. In truth, one of those plot threads has all but disappeared and I’m having a little difficulty even keeping the remaining two going without letting things get bogged down jumping back and forth between them.

In addition to this, each player character in the Star Wars Roleplaying Game has a “Destiny” that the story should be subtly moving them towards fulfilling. I also asked players to provide me with some details on their characters when we first began the campaign, including NPCs that I could incorporate into the plot at one point or another. Mostly, I’ve been neglecting all of this.

In my next campaign, I think I would like to keep the main story limited to just one central plot. Subplots could develop here and there if it seemed natural for them to do so, but each subplot should be wrapped up in a single gaming session or two so that they do not detract from the main plot too much. Perhaps at the beginning of the game I would let each player create a single NPC or other important background element for their character and give them some freedom to decide when this background element comes into play. They could only use it once in the whole campaign, though. This would both make it a very special event, and keep it from becoming disruptive. Also, if the next game I GM has anything like the Star Wars RPG’s destiny mechanic, I think I’ll just grant a bonus to a player character for behaving in accord with their destiny, and it would be up to the players to actively seek out opportunities to do that. This rewards players for moving towards their character’s destiny, while taking the pressure off of me to try to incorporate their destinies into the plot.


Too Many Auxiliary Game Mechanics

I’ve run into this before in other campaigns, and I’m seeing it again in my current one. I get what I think are good ideas for auxiliary game mechanics and try to incorporate them into the campaign. But they end up becoming rules bloat, and mostly overlooked.

In this campaign I’ve done two of these. The first idea was to keep track of the relationships between the player characters and major NPCs by way of a positive or negative score. The idea was that players could apply their relationship score with a particular NPC to die rolls made while interacting with that NPC. This is a neat idea in theory, but I often forget to adjust the scores, and I don’t think the players have ever actually used them. The second idea was to have the players write down goals between sessions and assign values to those goals. At the beginning or end of a given session, players could add new goals to the list or increase the value of existing goals. When goals were achieved the players would receive bonus experience points based on the value that had been assigned to that goal. This was intended to help keep the players focused and on task. While it has worked better than the relationship scores, it still tends to get overlooked a lot of the time.

In my next campaign, I think I’ll resist the urge to implement ideas like this. If I do use them again, I’ll keep it to just one auxiliary mechanic that will really help emphasize the focus of the game. A campaign about political intrigue might use the relationship score mechanic, or a campaign about taking on an epic quest might use the goals mechanic. But, I think using both is just too much.


Trying Too Hard to be Epic

I have a tendency to want to make my campaigns epic. Sometimes the setting just begs for an epic storyline. For example, it’s hard to imagine a proper Star Wars story that isn’t duly epic. The problem with epic is that it requires buildup. Buildup takes time, and working on the same campaign for too long contributes to burnout. I need a faster turnover rate for my campaigns. Moving on to fresh ideas gets me excited to work again. In my present campaign, I think I’ve got plotlines and pacing figured out well enough that we can wrap things up in a reasonable amount of time, before I give out completely. But with my next campaign, I’d like to pace things better so that we’re wrapping up before I’m starting to get tired.


Have you ever suffered burnout on a campaign before? Any ideas how to avoid this problem? Any thoughts on the ideas I’ve expressed above? I’d love to read your comments, so leave them below.

4 comments:

  1. I was a little worried this might've been starting to happen. I do hope we do another campaign in the future. It seems like any time you have relatively new players playing a new RPG it takes at least one campaign for them to get properly used to how the game goes and getting a taste for how to play that particular RPG. For instance I think I'd be a much better player if I were to play Firefly again. If I get to play a different Star Wars campaign it'd be the same I think.

    Maybe in the future especially if you know it's likely you'll play multiple campaigns and it's a new RPG to your players, make the first one a little more straight forward to get their feet wet, and then build up to a more epic campaign for the future.

    Another thing I've noticed is that in the past, such as for the Firefly RPG, it seemed like the individual players interacted with you more behind the scenes and had a little more input on some aspects. (Although in a way we conferred with you too much and not enough with each other LOL) Whereas in this one it seems like it's basically been you having to generate most of the ideas. I think it'd a good idea for the future to do like you said, generate one primary plot line and then leave it to your players to generate smaller subplots that SHOULD wrap themselves up by the end of the session. For instance the last time we played we ran into a Zabrak woman hiding. I might've decided to make it my little personal side mission to help her out, it would've been fun and of interest to me to help her, but it also would've resolved itself by the end of the session and that'd be that.

    As far as the auxiliary game mechanics, I think they were a good idea to try, and this is what trying new things is all about - see what works, see what doesn't.

    I am glad that you have things worked out so that we can at least come to some sort of conclusion for the campaign we're in now. ^_^ I really hope we're able to play next week! It's been too long! (If you want to squeeze in an extra session, I may be able to convince James to watch the kids so we can do that. Totally up to you)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your input here. I'm curious: When you talk about getting used to how to play a particular RPG, do you mean getting used to how the rules work, learning how to interact with the setting, figuring out your own personal role in things, or something else? A little clarification on that might help me as a GM. Perhaps sticking to games with similar game mechanics, settings, or party dynamics might be helpful?

      Delete
    2. Hmmm it seems like almost every RPG I've ever played has had different approaches to creating characters and then actual game-play. I find that in some games, after I play a while I discover that with the knowledge and experience I've accumulated, maybe I would've made my character a little differently, or played her a little differently which is something I don't think you could really control. I think it's kind of a natural thing.

      I will say that it can slow a player down having too much to absorb. Sometimes we don't think to do as many things as we could try. Like it took us how many sessions in SW to figure out we could get a bonus to our attack from simply charging at our target?

      I have mixed feelings. There were some types of game play and character creation I REALLY enjoyed and would love to revisit, but I like the variety at the same time cause it is nice to have something fresh and new to experience. I will happily play just about any game set in front of me. Just expect your job may be a little harder while I have a learning/adjustment period.

      I really do hope though that we do another campaign in Star Wars. You've put so much work into things it'd be a shame to just do a single campaign. ^_^

      Delete
    3. Interesting thoughts. So, it seems like you're talking mostly about game mechanics - character creation and rules used in actual play. So having my next campaign in a game you're already familiar with, or one that is at least mechanically similar to one you're familiar with, might help. That could be done, since you're familiar with Star Wars and Gamma World now. Both of those games, and many others, use variations on the d20 System. Hmm... Something to keep in mind for the future. And, yeah, I'd definitely like to do another Star Wars campaign in the future, but I'd sort of like to do something else in between.

      Delete